What's funny is that the party is tomorrow...

Today I woke up to a slew of warm wishes from new and old friends around the world. I did not expect much to happen today, mostly just relax and be ready to go out tomorrow night. My mentor teacher defiantly told the third grade students today is my birthday because they came running into lunch all dancing with "teacher! happy birthday to you!". The news spread quickly and before I knew it students I don't even have in my classes were saying 'congratulations' to me in the hall.

Both first & second and third grade sang to me. One of my favorite little firecrackers from first grade, YuKahn, drew me a picture before class and most of the girls gave me little hugs saying 'teacher I love you!'

Third grade came in excitedly telling me 'teacher water!' I said 'okay go ahead', but then she pulled me out of my seat and RAN me down the hall to sit me on a couch outside the nurse's room. After a little while she RAN me back down to the English room, where, in the dark, the kids attempted a quick surprise party by turning on the lights and singing happy birthday. They all gave me drawings of birthday cake.

In between classes, the administrator in charge of the roll books came in to switch the papers to April and gave me some green tea.

The other English teacher, Jiyoung, whom I ride home with every day, even gave me a present. It's a pretty little brooch, which, even though I do like it she said I could exchange it if I wanted to at Mango (a store). I get the feeling this is not something rude for them, so I might go and see if there is something more my colors.

My evening was relaxing, like I wanted. I took a long nap, then went to Lotte Mart for dinner at the cafeteria and even ran into one of my students there as well. As suggested by Chenney, I picked up some of the tights to see if they will fit me (they do, miracle) and treated myself to some sushi.

I decided to see about getting my 'professional' glasses fixed since the lens had started to crack on the top of one. 60k won and 15 minutes, I have new lenses in my glasses. They even re-checked my eyes. For free. I told the man "this, very fast. In USA, two weeks." He said "wow oh my god," in that way only Koreans do. I love it.

I love Korea

Comments (1)

On March 31, 2011 at 3:09 PM , Jenny Gordon said...

Love the "oh my god"! My kids say this all the time! Happy, happy birthday! I'm so sorry I can't be there for the party :( Unfortunately my landlord has to come in this evening. Have an awesome time and take tons of pics!