May contain some strong language.

Lesson 1: Separate Friends

When you can't get your class to be quiet because a few groups of kids just start talking again as soon as your eyes move off them, it's time for a seating chart. With mine, no amount of pay attention actions (clapping, chants, etc), yelling, or stares will earn their respect. Yesterday, fifth grade got a seating chart. Suddenly, the noise level of my room went from 11 to 3. It's really hard to talk in a normal voice to your friends when they're all the way across the room from you.

Lesson 2: Don't Be Afraid to be a Bitch

I didn't want to be that mean teacher, but seriously, the kids didn't get it. With my co-teacher in today, I warned her as soon as the class came in and talked and goofed around the whole time I was trying to call role that I was going to have to be strict. She faithfully translated my lecture. If the students don't get what it means for someone to come to Korea to teach them English, then they should now. It not easy, putting your life on hold, leaving people and pets behind, and coming to a country where you don't speak the language. A little guilt never hurt a petulant child.

Lesson 3: Enforce that "be quiet, no talking" means SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

My kids did not understand that be quiet means I want them to stop talking. I would tell them to be quiet and they would stop until their friends walked in the room and then start talking again immediately. As soon as I move back to the task I was on, they continue their conversation. This is difficult with the older students because, well, they're teenagers. Luckily, I'm young enough and have a brother young enough to remember what teens are like...and it's not pretty. It's fun to talk behind teacher's back, like a game. Even more so I'm sure when your teacher doesn't speak your language. However there are some lines that I think I wouldn't cross in the USA, but here not only have I given up on trying to be a "PC" teacher I've realized that if my students understood every word that came out of my mouth, it probably wouldn't get like this in the first place.

Lesson 4: Remind Them There are Consequences

After school class, of course, makes students think free time; but they signed up for or were told to sign up for my class. Just because they don't want to be there, skip, come in late, or act up, does not mean no one will hear about it. I reminded them that I take role every day because the office wants me to. They look at it everyday, and keep record of who doesn't show up or who is late. This means that the administration and their parents are aware of their attendance in the class. Just because there is no grade does not mean that the school doesn't care if you show up.

Lesson 5: Use Your Resources

Google Translate was a blessing this week. It might not be a perfect translation, but to help my fourth grade students understand that if they didn't start behaving well we would no longer play games and start writing sentences...well it was enough to get the point across.

We were told not to go over someone's head in the chain of command, as it were, within the school, but I think pulling a student out of class to go to the principal is something I can get away with. Especially since the principal is a few doors down, while all the teachers are on another floor.

Comments (0)