The last few weeks have been up and down. Trying to get into a routine with my students has been difficult because most of the time they just don't want to listen to what I say. Talking too much and not staying in their seats has been an issue. So far I have discovered two things that work really well: 1) Google translate to help me bring home what I am threatening them with (like writing sentences instead of games) and 2) Shouting YOGIBA! when they aren't looking at me.

I have a tendancy to forget to update this blog because the community is so tightknit on Facebook it's been easy to keep in touch with almost everyone in Korea and abroad. However, taking the time to reflect is important, especially collecting my thoughts in more than a few short status updates.

My apartment is finally a home. I was taken out to get a few necessities last week and was able to stow my luggage away for good. I can cook here too. You would be amazed what life without as much as a frying pan will do to you. I myself have settled into quite the routine, get late morning, check online things, clean up, eat breakfast while watching a show online, then get ready for school, lesson planning if necessary. Morning and late evening are usually the best times to catch people on the other side, so I try to check and see who's around.

Today was a good day, even if I did come home exhausted as usual. When I got to school as I was signing in the secretary handed me a package. I practically cheered 'thank you!' because I knew it was the box my parents had sent me last week. The letter they sent me two weeks ago is still a no-show. It would seem my carefully crafted Korean-written and English-written address for my school was far more effective than relying on the Korean post to translate an English addressed letter. I got my replacement Kindle, case for it, a pair of slippers mom made me, and a birthday card. Mom included instructions for the cute little slippers and I've already started a pair.

Things were a bit confusing today class-wise because there was a parent meeting and the school introduced all the teachers. Unbeknown-st to me, that meant that my first class was canceled (and I was really looking forward to seeing my 1s and 2s too...). It also meant I was late for 3rd grade. They came in early, before the meeting, and the girls in that class are super cute as well as super energetic. They came in excitedly telling me 'TEACHER TEACHER FASHION GOOD' then a little pose with some V fingers. They liked my shirt (Michele, remember that one you got me with the high collar and b&w circles? it's a hit). I set them up with a coloring worksheet with food and went to the meeting so they could introduce me to the parents.

The whole thing threw me off a little, so that when I got back to class it was hard to get myself on task, let alone the students. I'm trying to do food with them, so after I went over a little vocab I gave up and played the bomb game with them. They did the worksheet...something got accomplished.

Since I started classes and I met the other after-school English teacher she drives me home after school because she lives in the same area. Today we talked for quite a while and went for coffee. I like her a lot and I'm really glad the school decided to hire a private teacher to supplement their classes because it's nice to have a Korean English teacher that I see every day. Especially since I only see my co-teacher on Fridays.

This weekend I am going to Seoul and I'm really excited. Tomorrow is payday (finally!!) and I fully intend on gettig a more comfortable pair of sneakers (I keep tripping on my sketchers shape-ups...the sidewalks in Korea are perilous), a haircut, and hopefully a trip to the bank to get some money into my US account.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to watch an episode of Secret Garden and work on some slippers.

Comments (0)