This one is for Michele, because apparently I need to?

It's really hard to keep updating since A: I'm not a showoff and don't feel the need to talk about myself endlessly to random people online. B: I live a daily life in Korea and Facebook pretty much keeps me connected and updated in such a way that blogging sometimes feels redundant.

My initial contract is over. I haven't posted since...um...April? Post Jeju island. So quickly:

The last week of classes I went to the Boryeong Mud Festival with friends and got muddy, then spent the next day on the beach. We waited in line for almost an hour to get painted with colored mud. BUT it was a lot of fun. Being on the beach with the Yellow Sea was surreal because it looked and felt like being in Lake Michigan. Then I would dive in and find that my lips were salty and be confused for a moment.



After classes were over I spent 5 days in the Philippines with some friends in Manila. We saw the old fortress there, explored the shopping, ate a LOT of cheap amazing food, and went to a spa. The spas in the Philippines are amazing. I got a mani/pedi and full body massage for less than $20.

We also went diving in a giant aquarium, which was very cool. I kept having the urge to launch off the bottom and swim, but then the helmet would fall off. Then the instructor wouldn't be happy with me. So I resisted and bounced my way around.

 



















I spent most of August 'deskwarming'. This is a truly Korean phenomenon. Even though there is no work to be done since the students are on vacation, the school wants me to come in for the hours I would usually work so I can get paid. In the USA they would usually pay me anyway, since I really am salary, but here they want you to come in even if there is nothing to do. It's very strange and VERY boring.

Luckily the new batch of  TaLK teachers arrived this week and classes are starting up tomorrow. I have a ton of lessons ready for my students thanks to my deskwarming and a new semester should be a great start. It will be nice to have a routine again.

In the meantime, my third grade girls made up a song about Goldlilocks last semester. Enjoy.


Comments (0)